Saturday, April 12, 2008

Names Literally !!!

For all my country men !!!

It’s amazing how English names turn out to be a laugh riot when taken the literal meaning in our local dialects.

Take for example …

People I work with

Ding Ding Mary Hou ( no that’s not a prayer to mother mary, it’s a person. But yet I admit it kinda resembles Jai Jai Shiv Shankar ……)

Maire Barber (Don’t ask a mallu ever what “maire” means, unless you are out on a suicide mission )

Pei Le Chong ( The classic pee ley chong in hindi)

People I talked to

Hai Yan Wu (How do I say a Hi to this guy, and even if I do would he understand?)

Mai Ki Tang (Are baba, lets not touch this area !! shiva shiva, karmam karmam !!!)

Jon Guu ( Now if we translate his last name in hindi, it would be so gross)

Velichadi Karun (The first name has a special significance in Malayalam tho)

And last but not the least someone I interviewed

Hang Bang Dang !!! (You know someone the trigger happy types when you read this name !!! )

No wonder, the last 2 days have been so very pleasant for me !!!


PS: This post is not to offend anyone or any country, caste etc etc. Readers are advised to take the post with a pinch of salt or better still as the ramblings of a demented mind, either ways it suits me just fine !!!

3 Comments:

At Monday, April 14, 2008 at 5:17:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger KK said...

*chuckles*

I do wish you linked the meanings somewhere if not mention on ur blog for the non mallus.

 
At Wednesday, April 16, 2008 at 6:01:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger Vidya said...

I wish you let me into the meaning of these names! :D
It does sound funny,though! I was researching some Kannada slang as well and I can completely relate to this post right away!

Vidya

 
At Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 12:56:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Vin said...

he he he... ever wonder what our names can mean in their languages???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home