Tuesday, October 02, 2007

NGO

She looked more like a model than a corporate czar you know and her companion the Richard Gere types, very mature and those wrinkles adding to the wisdom he owns. Both looked weary, awfully busy and definitely traveling for business purpose as they got to work the moment we all settled down for take off.

But it looked ridiculous that I sat in between. You see I have never been able to figure out how to get myself an aisle seat on a long flight and these self-check-in kiosks work so slow that all I want to do is get a damn boarding pass and rush through security check. Of course being male has its advantages but not while catching a flight and If you are unaccompanied, single and of Asian heritage you are every inch a potential terrorist which means you might as well be prepared for a looooooong security check. It’s quite annoying at times but that’s a small price to pay to keep those losers out and I certainly don’t mind …..

Mid way through the flight Ms Congeniality asked me what I do for a living. Followed by aah I see from Mr Gere and finally at the end of the 6 hour flight, it was like we have known each other for years. I don’t think I am a conversationalist and I was surprised how deep our talks went. From the indo-pak relations to traffic at these parts from software and client management to religion and sports and so on. At least the long flight seemed to be a lot shorter

They both work for a not for profit agency that caters to children. I used to volunteer for a very famous NGO till I got sucked into the rat race after which I have become a sponsor and the logistics guy than being on the field as I used to before. They reiterated that they would like to hear from me once I get back to their part of the world and I definitely intend to do that.

Children have always been close to my heart and while I admit they can get quite nasty here they are so very innocent all the same. You don’t hate your blood just cause they are nasty at times do you? Similarly these individuals have gradually been so shunned by society that they mistrust people and their intentions. You have to win them over bit by bit, it takes time and once they believe someone likes them the way they are and is ready to support them, most of them get on track meaning a decent education, a good if not a great job and of course spread the general feeling of being-good-do-good attitude.

How successful I am going to be I don’t know, but I certainly do intend to try my very best…

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 3, 2007 at 4:19:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger Vidya said...

Welcome to the club of people who talk to others in-flight! :D

It does make the looooong flight so much shorter, doesn't it?

Vidya

 
At Friday, October 5, 2007 at 5:59:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger The Avenger !!! said...

@ vids /-

You bet this meeting was one I really cherish :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home