Sunday, July 15, 2007

The Journey !!!


It’s the usual morning, the sun’s in bright and on time flooding my room with warmth, the kind you get when you are back to familiar territory...


It would be my last trip to this much loved land and while I admit having spent quite sometimes in different cities both within and outside the country, there never seems to a place which entices me with such ferocity as this place does. I am always into the relapse mode during each visit and still savor the memories that each beam, path, house, neighbors etc bring.


Times have surely changed. I am no longer the trouser clad, lean lilliputian guy who ran around dishing out one calamity after another much to the chagrin of my loved ones. Today I am more composed, taller NOT tall neither SHORT ( this is for you rash :) geez !!! ), not lean, and definitely not fat but an athletic frame. The absence of facial hair earlier on has now given way to a freshly shaved face and the only thing that has still remained as earlier is my receding hairline and of course my attitude. I am yet to figure out how to tackle either of them and fortunately I am in no hurry….


At the crack of dawn I was all raring to go. The elders tried to dissuade me mentioning my lack of geography, masked men, murderers, serial killers etc on the prowl looking for unsuspecting victims like me but I was in no mood to relent. Besides not only have I traveled far and wide all by my self but my will power and desire were just too strong to get stymied by such frivolous excuses. I waved a bye promising them an early return and to be in touch as always…


My journey took me across the breadth of my chosen land and unknown to my victims I always made a dramatic landing at their tharavadu ( or ancestral home). The eyes still remained the same, the health was not pretty good but the determination and their principles were still intact. What’s more the same learning and morality were imbibed by all those around them and I was glad to admit that me too am a by product of the same school of thought.


As they peered through those ageless wonders at my face trying to figure out the jeans and jersey clad lad who could only speak the mother tongue and still found them out, the ends of their lips would expand to a radiating smile, the hands would stretch out for a loving embrace and a bear hug would ensure the relation that was lying dormant for 20+ years was resuscitated. Thanks to technology I am able to put each one of them within striking distance to my whole family and my camera would go click click click storing the images, sounds and human warmth in my memory and laptop for further use.


A typical scene enacted at each of the ageless wonder I had set out to meet ignoring the warnings, bad weather and of course issues that would not work to my advantage. And to my credit lies spending a night out in freezing cold at the bus stand. This place is known for sudden strikes and hartal and since I couldn’t read or write in the local language I was unaware of it. Thanks to the street dogs that crowded around me for food and warmth I was safe and of course I loved the feeling of those rain drops bounce off my face besides being water proof from birth also helped :).


It was time for me to bid a tearful adieu, I may not see them for a long time to come but I was glad I made an attempt and was successful in reaching them. To be honest just seeing their smile made the journey of thousand miles worth so much more.


Friday evening, time for me to depart. I checked my stuff, everything is in order. I stood and took one last look at a black and white photo of mine that adorned the freshly painted wall. Right next to that are my other family members. I smiled I had achieved all that I had set out on this trip and my satisfaction levels were very high.


Amid all the chaos I am rained with hugs and kisses from practically everyone who seem to matter. Being the last male progeny amongst the second generation helped and I was accorded my usual “Prince” status. I deftly dodged cheeky questions about marriage and my girl friends with the panache of a seasoned pro. Hell no, its not that I think village belle are no good or are too old fashioned for me but first things first I hate the tradition of going to see a “girl”. I won’t ever do that and second I am an obnoxious buffoon who appears proud and with a stiff upper lip. For someone to tear through the mask it takes effort and more importantly time but then I was never so interesting nor the tom cruise types so there goes my hopes on that :)


Sometimes just sometimes you always have this feeling to go back to your old self, to re live the life that you lead sans the worries the troubles or the heartaches that seem to cloud you so much more and my recent trip was my way of getting back to my past.


The place I am headed to, I have seen, heard and have experienced that human values and emotions don’t have much prominence and bound that I am to my country and its rich tradition and heritage I just felt I need to get my bag full before I depart.


My journey of a thousand miles began with a small step and with each movement I felt my goal being near. As I touched each one of those who have touched me in their lives I felt like a kid once more and more importantly a pride as I still am the way they wanted me to turn out to be and I don’t ever intend to let them down.


My bag was heavy it had to be as it was not just full it had enough in it to last till my next trip whenever it happens !!!


As for now let me just rest as the next chapter in my life begins soon enough .......

7 Comments:

At Monday, July 16, 2007 at 3:45:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger Vidya said...

Very moving post! Even though you have not really specified details, I am able to relate to this. I am planning to trip to my roots, if you will. And I am already choked up thinking about it. The trip is due to take place only 4 months from now!!
Hmm... Good job !! And good for you that you don't forget the past when you move ahead!

Vidya

 
At Monday, July 16, 2007 at 10:23:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger Anupama said...

Wonderful description.. hope the energy from the past will drive to a stunning future!!!

 
At Monday, July 16, 2007 at 8:33:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger The Avenger !!! said...

@ vidya /-

hey vids glad you making that trip believe me its worth the shot !!!

 
At Monday, July 16, 2007 at 8:33:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger The Avenger !!! said...

@ anupama /-

hey anu, good to see you back. yeah me too hoping for the same.

see ya around !!!

 
At Monday, July 16, 2007 at 10:20:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Priya said...

A beautiful journey fun filled with past and present dreams. Ins't that a beautiful feeling filled with innocence and love of all evne unknown ones.

 
At Tuesday, July 17, 2007 at 7:12:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger The Avenger !!! said...

@ priya /-

yep pri, you bet it is :)!!!

 
At Monday, August 13, 2007 at 2:39:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Harini Padmanabhan said...

Sometimes just sometimes you always have this feeling to go back to your old self, to re live the life that you lead sans the worries the troubles or the heartaches that seem to cloud you so much more.

this is exactly how i feel today.. But the adult in me knows life has to go on. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home