Saturday, February 03, 2007

Lost and Found !!!

My brother and I had a love hate relationship. When I was young ( yeah I do feel quite old these days !!) I used to hate him for meddling in my affairs. For me not being able to do what I wanted to was enough reason to dislike him. But I had no choice. Part of my upbringing was to learn to respect elders and he being elder I could never say no to what ever he says. Of course thinsg are better now, ever since the stuff I have between the ears began to grow, I have realised how every decision of his has and would always be in my best interests. Which probably explains why even at this age, I still do EXACTLY what he asks me to do, NO QUESTIONS ASKED………..


We both are extremely different personalities. He is a matter of fact person, reserved, focussed and always keeps himself busy. Indeed he has been a role model for our family. I on the other hand am gregarious, naughty and of course happy go lucky person. In his words, I concentrate only when I am convinced else I will just do a fair job and leave it at that. :)


As time passed he passed his high school with honors and went away to study engineering at a place a good 4 hours from home. Initially he travelled all the distance, but when time became a premium, he decided to stay at the college hostel and moved out. Trouble started once it became clear that he would only come home during weekends. As usual I would be at my naughty best the whole week and as the weekend approached I would be obedience personified to save my behind from the thrashing I would possibly get.


As time passed I became bolder and with dad away abroad I wasn’t afraid to experiment and play the fool. It was during one of those visits that my bro caught me, and as much as I tried to reason with them that it was not my fault he would not listen. I received the thrashing of my life that day and finally as dusk fell, it was clear to everyone that it wasn’t my fault. My bro apologised but thick skinned that I was, I refused to pay heed and withdrew myself completely. We didn’t speak for more than 24 hrs and he finally left for his hostel to come back the following weekend.


Weekend came, but his pride and my ego came between us and our conversation never took place. Mom tried to brooker peace but she gave up seeing our lack lustre response. We sat at the dinner table, quitely ate our meals and retired for the night without even acknowledging each others presence. My other siblings looked on aghast at the turn of events. At the crack of dawn my brother left he had his final year exams and had just come to broker peace between us. I overheard him say that to my sister before he left. By the time I woke up he had already gone, it would be a full 2 weeks before he comes back and I had absolutely no way of reaching him to laud his efforts at getting back to me.


The following 2 weeks were the hardest as I mentally and physically bore the brunt of the attack and cursed myself repeatedly for being such thick skulled. I promised to make up when he came in the next week. 2 weeks made way to 3 and then a month, finally I got a word that he would come home the following week. A full month and a half since we spoke to each other.


The weekend arrived and at the crack of dawn I was up waiting for him to come home, he came in as usual by the first available train. As I opened the door I saw a smile in those weary eyes. We settled down and over breakfast I finally told him how sorry I was for acting so smart and how it wont ever happen again. Our relationship is too precious to be wasted fighting for such silly stuff. I promised him never again would ego or pride find a place in our relation.


He didn’t say a word but just smiled. Finally when he was packing his bags to leave he told me “You should concentrate on your studies. Next year you are going to enter university so study well”. Anyways let me apologise too, it was my fault I should have trusted you a little more. I promise I wont act like this ever again”.


Both of us stood frozen. A big burden was taken down from our heads. I just sat there reading a novel while my brother had one of his hands on the door, he turned and smiled a beatific smile, a smile that radiated and lit up the entire hallway. As for me aah me one could easily sense I had troble breathing….


He then turned his head away and I know for sure he would forever deny it but I swear I saw a tear glistening in his eye. The spell was broken and it was as if the momentous day, the day we were eagerly waiting for all this time had finally arrived. I murmured “ that’s all right bro, it happens I am sure we both will keep our promises”. And from that moment on we never stopped talking again.


I don’t believe in miracles and my faith in god too is being tested of lately. But all I am saying is something great and wonderful happened that day. In the very conscious act of seeking to break the barrier that seperated us, I discovered the solution to my problem.


Sometimes god reveals himself in small albeit conscious way. On that day I experienced another of his magnetism a sparkle known world over as “the power of miracle”


I don’t seek explanation as to how it happened. I am not keen and I don’t care either as to what, when and why it happened, that’s all. Just one thing remained in my heart, on that day 2 brothers who were lost found each other yet again.


7 Comments:

At Monday, February 5, 2007 at 1:02:00 PM GMT+5:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd already left a comment here....but doono where it gone.....



so repeating the same here again...

nice tho quite familiar the story is....: )... but me on the other side,being the elder one...

 
At Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 2:41:00 AM GMT+5:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"gregarious, naughty and of course happy go lucky person" did ya say happy go lucky ? i don't think so

 
At Wednesday, February 7, 2007 at 10:40:00 PM GMT+5:30, Blogger Priya said...

Isn't that very sweet and we all go thru' when we have brothers and sisters.

 
At Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 10:53:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger The Avenger !!! said...

@ vidya / -

well being elder certainly has it benfits, I am sure you would agree too :)

 
At Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 10:56:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger The Avenger !!! said...

@ anonymous / -

Yep you heard it right I did say Happy go Lucky person.

I am aghast you dont think so but I cant impress everyone isnt it :)

besides in my country you have freedom of speech, so by all means do say what you feel like :)

with too many anonymous comments, i would appreciate if i could get a name to relate it too.

appreciate the time you took out to make a comment...

 
At Thursday, February 8, 2007 at 10:57:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger The Avenger !!! said...

@ priya /-

You bet, I have a myraid of such stories which probably explains why i respect him so much...

 
At Tuesday, February 13, 2007 at 10:16:00 PM GMT+5:30, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-) too good!...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home