Thursday, February 08, 2007

All work and no play....


How many hours of work should be enough? When I talk about work, what I mean is working to a level of satisfaction as expected from an employee and an employer’s perspective.

Think about it, we all have different schedules and depending on the size of our ego, work ethics, end user etc we either take work as a full time profession or something as a necessity i.e. it needs to be done or is expected to be done…

A recent report rated Bangalore as amongst the unhealthy and stress ridden cities. Does it have something to do with our silicon valley of India tag? Or is it cause of the fact that most of the techies here except me of course average 50-60 hours a week?

I even know of one Indian multinational where if you don’t average 9.5+ hours every week, the HR sends you an email demanding an explanation. Sound’s ridiculous but it’s a fact and is corroborated by my friend who works for this firm.

I know people who are so fanatic about being seen in office (an image building excercise i believe) that unless they sit in office for at least 10-12 hours a day they are not satisfied. Probably the only person who would not mind those kind of work hours would be 28 year old Mario Lavandeira of PerezHilton.com (the most popular blog in the world), he averages 19-hour workdays that start at 5:15 a.m.

I mean c’mon think about it. If you spend 10 hours working, 2-4 hrs traveling that leaves you with just about 10 hours for sleeping, brushing teeth, eating and spending time with the family or your hobbies and passion. To be honest you have “no life, are always working, and possibly can never take a vacation." Put it simply you don’t even remember the last time you did something better…something that changed the mundane course of your life.

Ohh btw I did a rafting trip within 2 weeks of a partial recovery from an accident. The only reminder of the accident on the trip was a stinging left side of my body and a bit slurred speech. I guess I did fine since I am planning to take a rafting guide course and yeah the adrenalin flow compensated pretty much for all the hardship I had to endure prior to taking the course and at the end of it. :)

So here is what I would like to know from my readers

1. How would you describe a typical day in your professional life?

2. How exactly do you benefit or provide succor by averaging 10+ hours each day in your work life.

3. Last but not the least which school of thought do you fit in to? Work harder or work smarter? Personal success mantra’s anyone?

As I write this I look over my cubicle to find the only person still in office as the clock near's midnight and his reason “What will I do by going home? I am not feeling sleepy that’s why I am here in office..”

I lugged at my already receding hairline as I heard his answer …

5 Comments:

At Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 4:46:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger KK said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 4:48:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger KK said...

Looks like you really serious about your feedbacks!

The situation seems to be different here. We're paid by the hour and hence not expected to work more than 8 hours a day. But that doesn't stop some people from working almost 70 hours a week. I dont blame them either, they stay till things get done.

As a rule, they dont bother much about their work living up to an artistic satisfaction or some such rot, they just get things done.

I know for a fact that my project manager does 90. I guess it makes the weekends really worth it. :=)

3. I don't think anyone would ever admit to preferring 'working harder' over 'working smarter' anymore. We're expected to work long hours as smartly as we can.

This usually means (for a geek like me): Automation, Abstraction and Refactoring Design Fussily).

1. Typical day: Get into work, read emails, decide i need to start and go for a lunch break. Decide I need to get things done, read emails again. Finally at some point work like a maniac till I dont know its 6:15p already.

2. I dont work more than 8 hours a day. I generally manage to get things done in that frame. I might sometimes do a working lunch where we're discussing many other things than just the project.

The only time I've stayed is when I felt I was in the flow and it'd hugely unproductive for me to break things then and get away. It hasn't happened more than about 5-6 times in the last six months.

(I think I've blogged in here)

 
At Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 8:56:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger The Avenger !!! said...

Whoaaa KK as expected :) i knew your ans would be more or less on similar lines.

some of them have been kind enough to email me their comments. that seems to be the new fad these days.

Your last para summarises how and when if ever i have extended my working hours...

 
At Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 8:58:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger The Avenger !!! said...

and yes i am serious about feedbacks. allows me to make last minute changes as and when required you see :)

 
At Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 9:05:00 AM GMT+5:30, Blogger The Avenger !!! said...

@ the smiling girl /-

hey smiley, well like i said i didnt leave since i thgt if i did i would break the flow, so sat a bit late and finished it off.

"People dont have regard for smart workers and want us to be in office all the time which is unacceptable!" very true, which is why me and my team lead dont see eye to eye...

all said and done, thats the worst part about professional life and sadly all except a few are flowing along with it....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home